OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
The MBA program at LEADSTAR College is designed to meet the ever-increasing demand for highly skilled individuals who can assume managerial positions in various levels of organization. The following specific objectives are put forward for the MBA program at LEADSTAR.
- To produce techno crafts and entrepreneurs for the business world who could run their own business or employed in organization through offering relevant and integrated education of theory with practical application;
- To produce academicians and researchers who can carry out analysis, and interpret the business world for better changes through offering education that provides the necessary tools for decision-making and problem solving while exposing the student to the functional areas of business that are appropriate in today’s business environment;
- To meet the needs of diverse groups of students by integrating international experiences into the current global business culture with special focus to emerging African economies in order to develop a global awareness;
- To provide fundamental business courses and skills for non- business degree holders by offering a foundational program to prepare them for graduate studies in business;
- To expose students to the various advanced theories and practices in business management, finance, and marketing and investment;
- To produce competent, knowledgeable professionals who will contribute to the development and transformation of the business sector of the country in line with the nations Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP);
- To supply the industry and employers with graduates of high caliber who would be able to fuel the expansion and development of the industrial sector;
- To produce future consultants, policy makers, analysts, leaders and notable individuals who will be able to manage multinational business firms;
- To equip graduates with skills to understand and respond to the fast changing business environment and to prepare competent, flexible, adaptive, and visionary business leaders.
The MBA program at LEADSTAR works to see in the students the following outcomes
- Business insight
Students will systematically understand the multifaceted management issues facing business organizations and analyze problems by applying generally accepted theories, best practices and leadership/management skills in the business environment.
- Critical Thinking, Analysis, Problem Solving and Communication Skills
Students will have the ability to think critically and apply the conclusions of such a process to real life situations as well as be able to communicate in speech and in writing at a level which reflects competency. To this end, students will learn both qualitative and quantitative tools and methods for analyzing and evaluating complex management issues.
- Leadership Potential
Students will understand the principles of leadership, team building, and human relations.
- Awareness of Global Business Environment
Students will be aware of current international business trends so as to think globally and act locally. Students will also be able to identify and analyze economic, multicultural, national, and international issues in the global business environment.
- Skill Development in the Following Areas:
- Critical Thinking.
- Problem definition and problem solving skills.
- Mastery of analytical-quantitative aspects.
- Cross functional perspectives.
- Sensitization to cross-cultural skills.
- Orientation of Global perspectives.
- Communication and Interpersonal Relations
Graduates of this program are believed to be engaged in either of the following tasks:
- Work as business analysts in various specialized areas such as Human Resources Management, Marketing management and finance in public, private and other sector organizations;
- Work as managers of business activities at different levels of the administrative hierarchy;
- Advice and assist clients in business oriented project identification, evaluation and investment analysis.
- Work as researchers in impact assessment studies, in devising better ways of business and economic analysis.
- Work as teaching faculty in higher educational institutions or act as a competent trainer or consultant to impart quality business management knowledge and skill.
The MBA program proposed herewith at LEADSTAR College is a regular program that candidates may attend in a general MBA focus.
- The courses provide a powerful combination of theory, practical knowledge and application. The students develop new insights enabling them to lead the organizations through increasingly complex conditions and challenges.
- First semester introduces the students with theories in management, information technologies and how to use them to make effective decisions, methods and methodologies to conduct business researches to make an informed decision and some important accounting concepts will be introduced.
- Second semester completes this foundation with a look at the role of Finance, Marketing, and Human Resource management. It also addresses some statistical and quantitative tools which help managers make a scientific decision making.
- In third semester students will be getting awareness about the existing financial institutions and the structure of financial market. In this semester the students will also acquire an extensive knowledge about individual, group and organizational behaviors in such a way that they will influence them to bring about the needed change and transformation to their organizations.
- In the final semester students will be given the chance to integrate all those functional issues into a whole and develop skills to manage their organizations holistically. The varieties of courses we offered in the previous terms are expected to give students the knowledge needed to write a research project aimed at solving specific business problems.
- Total Number of Cr. Hours = 36 credit hours.
- Average time to complete the study = Twenty-four months (Two Years).
- A maximum possible extension of 2 semesters.
The minimum admission requirement for the MBA program is a bachelor’s degree. It is emphasized that a strong quantitative background is essential for success in the MBA program. To obtain admission to the MBA program, applicants should fulfill the admission requirements established by Graduate Admissions Committee of LCML as per the regulations of the Ministry of Education.
Accordingly, the applicants for the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program should:
- Possess relevant Undergraduate Degree, preferably in management, economics, accounting, marketing, logistics and supplies management, mathematics, statistics or engineering fields from a recognized/accredited tertiary educational institution.
- Must possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 on a 4.00-point scale.
- Achieve competitive score in the quantitative and language proficiency (communication) test to be prepared and administered by LCML (The admission test will be prepared in GMAT standards with general management question included).
Students graduating with a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree will demonstrate competency in several areas found to be important for success in business administration and organizational leadership. These competency areas include leadership, communication skills, problem solving skills, integrity and accountability, specialized knowledge, and international and global perspective.
At the end of the program, students will be able to:
- Communicate correctly and purposefully, integrating technology into writing and presentations;
- Identify problems, analyze information, and form conclusions within the business context;
- Learn business knowledge from a variety of sub-disciplines and apply the knowledge and skills to reach solutions to business needs;
- Inspire a shared vision, foster a realization of that vision, and facilitate a culture to realize goals of the vision;
- Appreciate the ethical behaviors and issues relevant to the business community;
- Apply analytical and quantitative skills appropriate to support business decision making.
To this end, this MBA program offers a learning modality for degree completion which ensures student completion of the program in two years of four semesters. The MBA program requires that students:
- Complete 3 (three) approved terms of 36 credits hours as indicated in the Course Plan;
- Maintain a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale, with no more than 3 courses grade lower than a “C” in courses identified in the Course Plan; and
- Maintain a minimum “Satisfactory” grade in the final MBA Thesis.